Wednesday 9 May 2012

Drawing Practice: Maps

For our drawing module, we had to create 3 maps: A map of Britain, a map of the world & a fantasy island.

For Britain, we had to draw it without any reference, just from memory with a bit of guess work. (Ireland was left out.) Our tutor Richard, said the quality of the drawing was the most important thing, not the acuuracy of the map. When I started the drawing, I could remember the general shape of Britain, but not any specific outline. I used ink, blotted on paper to create the general shape, and then traced the ink's edges with a fineliner. I quite liked this approach to drawing. I also like the effect powdered ink has when sprinkled onto wet paper.

Size A2

We also had to guess the location of various places on our maps.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 For another map, we had to create our own fantasy island. I did a lot of research for this one. I find native american creation myths interesting, so I based my fantasy island on one of the creation stories. The story I found says that the world was sat on the back of a giant turtle. I used a lot of native american symbols in the map, and the place names were based on their meanings. I used fineliners, and a lot of detail went into the linework, so I decided to keep it black & white for clarity. I am very pleased with this map.

Size A2










I still have to complete my world map. I'm putting on places that interest me, and some mythical sea creatures. It will be drawn in black ink using a dip pen and I want it to look old and worn. (I'm planning on teastaining and burning.)  I will be uploading more pictures as soon as its finished.  
Progress so far...






No comments:

Post a Comment